Jun 25, 2012

Random Sunday Afternoon

It was nice Sunday afternoon.  My parents and I hung out in a park in the small town of Sierra Madre after we watched the movie 'Brave' for the second time (that's right!).  My dad napped on the benches a little bit, my mom read her book as she kept an eye on me, and I played on the playground and climbed trees.  We had Jamba Juice for light lunch then we headed to the restaurant Lemonade afterwards.  They have very interesting food.
I told you this was a random afternoon, right?  Okay, so here's a random encounter.  As we walked around the park, an old gentleman approached my mom and chatted with her for a little bit. He was walking his dog.  My mom found out that he's 82 years old, was a WWII vet, operated some cannon-type artillery, and had fathered 11 children (that he knows of...).  He was well dressed, clean, had a big hiking backpack on his back, and had one black earring on one of his ears.  Then he asked my mom if she's heard the plant "purslane".  She said she had.  Then he reached inside his flannel shirt and pulled a ziplock bag full of these and gave my mom some (which was weird).  After he left, my mom 'googled' purslane and turns out it  is classified as a weed, but is an up and coming 'vegetable' that is showing up on high-end gourmet food in restaurants and has omega-3 fatty acids and other vitamins and minerals.  It's interesting how strangers cross our paths, how we learn from them, and then never to see them again.  Whatta weird and interesting encounter.
We planted vegetable seeds early in March. Many of the baby plants didn't make it in the erratic weather we were having, but for some that did, my mom transplanted them to bigger pots and are doing well.  However, my mom no longer knows which plant is which.  She's just waiting to see what bears what.  Well, she was looking at this one plant yesterday afternoon. As she parted a few leaves, she found two green beans hanging there!! She was so happy because this is the first time she's gotten beans after two years of trying to grow them.  Yay!


I hope you had a nice weekend.