Aug 16, 2009

Camping Backyardigans-style

I love tents. Oh my gosh...they rock my world. When we visit REI, the sporting goods store, my parents usually have a hard time coaxing me out of the model tents. I love being outdoors and when my mom told me that we were going to sleep outside in the tent tonight I was like, "Whaaaat??! Really?!" This is just like an episode of Backyardigans. We could pretend we're camping in the woods but in the comfort of our own backyard. Charlie and I were so excited. I sang songs and pretended to be a pirate as my parents set up our tent in the backyard. My parents were serious about this. I guess it was a rehearsal for future camping trips.
I watched "Brother Bear" as I waited for my parents to finish cleaning up. Then we all piled in the tent. Daddy watched the movie with me and mommy read her book. Then it was lights out. It was dark. It was quiet. A lone cricket singing to himself nearby. Then after a few minutes in the dark, I told my tired parents that I'd like to please sleep in my room. Somewhere in the dark I heard my daddy sigh, "ah geez" to himself. Back to reality, just like a Backyardigan. (Insert Backyardigan's ending credits theme here...)

Note: If you don't know what "Backyardigans" is, it's a kids' show on Nickelodeon. http://www.nickjr.com/shows/backyardigans/index.jhtml

* * * * *
B.M. (Before Maya)

Here are my parents camping with their friends two years before I was born. See our blue tent? This was at Sequoia National Park. They actually had a bear visit their campground and it tried breaking the metal food bins at 3:00am. All surrounding campers woke up because of the ruckus and someone nearby fired shots to scare the bear away.

And here they are before they all had kids. They all look happy and rested don't they?