Jan 27, 2012

Turtle: An Incredible Journey

Mom and I watched the documentary Turtle: The Incredible Journey tonight on Netflix.  It's a documentary about a loggerhead turtle starting where she was born on the beaches of Florida and her 9,000 mile journey in the ocean and back to become a mother.  It's like Finding Nemo, but the turtle version.  There were a bunch of perils along that way that were very suspenseful.  I was scared for her. At one point, I got emotional and I clung to my mom like she's a raft.  I think I just felt bad for the turtle because she was all alone in the vast ocean and no one to help her.  But she turned out fine.  It's truly amazing how beautiful the ocean is and how much these animals go through.  I also learned that turtles have built-in compasses and map of the ocean in their head so they never get lost.  Wow, I wish I had that.

Facts about loggerhead turtles:
Average weight and length: 180 - 400lbs and about 3 feet.
Heaviest recorded: 1,200lbs and 7 feet!!!!
Lifespan: about 30 years
Conservation status: Sadly, they are now considered endangered.