Dec 11, 2009

Giving

It's that time of year when everyone's busy shopping for everyone on their list.  A watch, a handbag, a shiny new iPod, a new Wii system....that's fine and dandy, but I think we need to also consider others especially ones who are in need. Over the past weekend, my mom told me that some kids don't have toys to play with. She asked me if I would be willing to part with some them so other kids may have a chance to play with them.  After looking at my toys and considering the suggestion, I said yes.  So I picked these ones to give away.

My mom and dad were surprised that I'm willing to give Brobee away. He's the green dude. I figured why not? I already played with him, so let another kid have fun with him, right?

See my stuffed dog? Man, this guy kept me company when I was still a little tot. He taught me many songs and body parts and stuff. I'm sad to see him go, but I'm sure another baby will really enjoy him. Daddy dropped them off at a local donation center.

Also, in the spirit of giving we put together care packs for the homeless. We got some of the basic stuff together like canned soups, granola bars, soap, towels, shampoo, deodorant, first aid kit, toothpaste, toothbrush, detergent, nail clippers, reusable cups and food containers, ermergency blankets, ponchos, notebook, and pen.

I was having difficulty understanding why one would not have a toothbrush or toothpaste or soup.  My mom explained that sometimes people have a hard time even getting these simple things because they do not have money to buy them. I asked "They don't have a piggy bank?'  My mom said no.  After that I quietly helped my mom put the things in the backpacks. 

Let's always be grateful for what we have and try to enjoy the simpler things in life.  If you can, please give this holiday season.

If you are intersted in knowing more about homelessness, please go to: http://www.unionstationhs.org/index.html