Jul 13, 2010

Giants

Long, long time ago, before you and I were around, there were these giant mammals that roamed the earth.  Some are still around, but most of them are now extinct.  We went to the Natural History Museum to visit their Age of Mammals exhibit.
I saw this skeleton of a Fin Whale, a big fish really.  It'd be really inconvenient if one of those bones got stuck in your teeth, huh?  Then I saw this python skeleton.  I think these are still around in the Amazon somewhere or on Hollywood Blvd. hanging around an aspirng actor's neck posing for tourist pictures.
Now, these guys behind me have been extinct for awhile.  Poor guys.
I was thinking of taking this guy home so he won't be so lonely.  But no, I don't think I could fit this skull through my bedroom door.
They had a spider exhibit.  This one looked tough isn't it?  The handler, I mean.
It looked like Mr. Snuffleupagus to me.  It was really cuddly.
Then the highlight.  In the North American Mammal Hall, they had the Dinosaur Encounters.  We all sat on the floor and this lady talked to us about all things dinosaurs.  She was really good and kept our attention.  She taught us about coprolite. You know what that means?  Dinosaur poop.  Yes, people actually mine for these things and make carvings and jewelry with them. Now that's a brilliant idea, isn't it?...We have a big backyard and then you can just... You know what..then a dinosaur came out of the double doors!  Children screamed.  Adults said "whoa!" It was pretty impressive. It was walking, roaring, and sniffing kids' heads in the front row.  Good thing we sat two rows back. Then after the show, sounding really impressed, I said: "Daddy that was great!  That was a real dinosaur and it was wearing pants."