Nov 22, 2010

Monteverde Cloud Forest Reserve

While in Monteverde, we visited the Reserva Biologica Bosque Nuboso Monteverde (The Monteverde Cloud Forest Reserve). From Los Pinos, we took a yellow school bus to get there. Yes, a yellow school bus. It was a very bumpy ride I must say. There are pot holes larger than Asian woks on what a seemingly one vehicle road, but the driver is an expert and knows all the maneuvers. The bus fare is about $1.00 or about 500 colones.
The bus.
This bus is also a public transporation for locals here.  Here's a young "tico" checking me out. Actually, he was checking out the toy I was holding. I was trying to hide it. He got off with his mom at an American school along the road.  He's kinda cute.
The fee to get in the reserve is about $17. The weather was pretty good when we got there. But we brought our ponchos just in case the weather suddenly changes.  Here's me leading the way up to the trail. At the reception desk, they ask you how much time you have and they highlight trails on the map for you to follow.  Then you're on your own. We did a 2-3 hour hike.
Sunlight filtering through the exotic trees.
Posing on a stair trail to Vista La Ventana, one of the amazing look outs.
La Ventana lookout.  There's a wall of gnats here that you can't see. My mom walked through it and probably had a good mouthful of them because she started hacking.  I didn't ask if they tasted good.
The jungle.
Here's the suspension bridge that was on the map.  That means were almost back down.  When I say almost, that meant another 30-45minutes of hiking up and down. After the hike, we took the 11:30am yellow bus ride back to Los Pinos. When we got home, I took a loooong nap.