Apr 7, 2013

Catalina Island

My parents went here about 12 years ago.  They haven't been back until now.  With me.
 The boat ride from Long Beach was about an hour.  We were seated inside and my mom felt a little nauseous. So I invited her to go outside to get some fresh air. She liked it much better outside. She didn't barf or anything, so that's good.
We went on this Avalon tour which takes you around the island and learn about it.  It was a pretty cool tour. Of course, we decided to have our own seats.
View from the tour. 
Wow.  We were pretty high up.
 Trying to tell my mom to sit on the other seat...while the tram is moving.  She said no.  
She's no fun sometimes.
 It's quite expensive to live in this island.  For a teeny 2 bedroom house, that'll cost you about a million.  And guess what?  You don't own the house and land.  It's a 99-year lease.  For gas?  Oh, it's just $6.70 per gallon.  If you want a car?  You can file for application now and you'll get your approval to get a car in 25 years.  If you get sick and need to be flown by helicopter to the main island?  That'll cost you a cool $12,000.  So our guide, who's also a long time resident, said that they'd rather drop dead.  LOL! Well...not for the person dropping dead.
 Daddy and me talking about where we want to eat lunch.
 Explored the area for a place to grub.
 Still going.
 Ah yes, a shrimp and steak place.  I had the jumbo shrimp plate with rice pilaf.  Oh my goodness, it was so good.
Pretty view from our restaurant window.
 Of course, we have to stop by Olaf's Ice Cream.  My parents shared a giant waffle cone with coffee ice cream and I had an tropical fruit sorbet.  Delish.
 Enjoying the rest of the afternoon.
 Daddy taking an afternoon siesta.
 With a bronze seal.
 My little tourist self walking toward the boat dock.
Because my mom got sea sick by sitting inside the boat, we decided to sit outside.  It's so much better and she didn't get sea sick at all.
We had a very pleasant day exploring the island.  Goodbye Catalina Island.  Til next time!