Dec 26, 2011

Lab Experiment

All morning, I was bugging my mom to help me with this lab kit I got for Christmas from my cousin Danielle (Thanks!).  She finally did and wow and the experiments were cool.
Our first experiment is a mini lava lamp.  My mom read the instructions to me and showed me that water and oil don't mix.  She proceeded to mix the two and dropped a fizzy tablet in there.  
 
Oooooh, magenta bubbles started rising.  It was so pretty.
Shake, shake, shake.  Tiny bubbles uniting into a big blob. 
 Next one is an experiment called Garbled Marbles. We soaked these tiny little beads that are polyacrylamide polymer gel.  Yeah.  Go ahead Google it.
 These little guys are like sponges that belongs to a class of molecules called "superabsorbents".  Hey, my diaper when I was a baby was sort of like that.... Anyway, after a couple of hours, the tiny beads grew into these gorgeous bouncy balls.  Yes, they do bounce. And yes, they do look like boba/tapioca, but no, you don't eat them. 
Next up is Gravi Goo.  This experiment involves tossing the liquidy substance between two cups for a few minutes after we mixed water and this powdery stuff.  My mom mixed in the Garbled Marbles to give it some interest.  After a while, the goop just crawls by itself out of the cup.  Its molecules are hooked on to each other so they pull each other.  Very goopy, but cool experiment.  I love this stuff!